The Unofficial Hougang United FC Supporters Blog

Monday, July 18, 2011

Match Report: Hougang 2:3 Woodlands

Friday, July 15th, 2011
1930hrs, Jalan Besar Stadium


                Hougang United   2: 3  Woodlands Wellington
         Sobrie Mazelan (40')                    Moon Soon Ho (57')
            Jordan Webb (69')                    Moon Soon Ho (76')
                                                              Moon Soon Ho (90')

Match Attendance: 644

Woodlands Wellington's striker Moon Soon Ho bags his hat trick in the second half and grabs the comeback that lifts his Northen team to 11th spot in the S-League. Hougang United were visibly shattered after the visitors hammered in the 3rd and final goal in injury time.

Hougang had most of the possession early in the the first half and had a few missed chances as the Rams stuck to their plans of soak and counter. 

On 20mins, Carlos Delgado applied the pressure from midfield and allowed himself the space to launch a low screamer from the edge of the box, but it deflected off the Woodlands keeper for the corner.

From the corner kick Azhar Sairudin received a loose ball; and from 30 yards volleyed his effort just over the crossbar.

The Cheetahs opening goal came in the 39th min. Carlos Delgado once again assisted Jordan Webb to his 12th goal of the season. The Argentinian midfielder sent a long past from center of the pitch to find Jordan Webb on the left channel.

But the ball bounced akwardly for the Ram's keeper as he rushed out to gather it but the ball eluded his grasp and allowed Jordan Webb to cut in a cross for Sobrie Mazelan to tap in.

Jalan Besar Stadium's scoreboard read 1-0 to Hougang United at half time.

Second started with a bang for Woodlands Wellington. The lads in blue found new energy and the rallied themselves an equalizer.

In the 57th minute, Woodlands level the score 1-1 on the counter. Korean striker Moon Soon Ho connected with a looping midfield pass and from less then 15 yards his shot deflected off an Hougang defender and loped over the keeper for the goal.

10 minutes on, Mamadou Diallo almost extended the lead when he turned on a defender and place his shot into the parrying hands of Woodlands custodian Ang. The Guinean connected well from a Carlos Delgado's direct feed, side step his marker before witnessing his shot saved.

2 minutes later, Hougang United managed to increase their lead through another miscommunication between the Rams defence line.

Jordan Webb's knack for poaching freak goals once again rewarded the Canadian with his 12th goal of the season. Arzhar Sairudin the supplier this time. The midfielder received a free ball from a the corner kick and he spotted Jordan lurking on the left side.

And what seemed to be an simple cross for defenders to clear was to left to ball watching. And Jordan Webb gleefully accepted the pass, side step the keeper and slotted in the ball in for 2-1.

But Woodlands were not to be outdone as within a span of 10 minutes, the Rams equalized again on the counter. Moon's speed certainly cause a lot of problems for the Cheetahs back 4 as once again the pacy Korean doubled his goal tally.

Moon read the long ball well from deep in the Rams half and he chased the ball towards goal leaving defenders back pedalling while himself with only the keeper to beat; and he calmly slotted the ball past Fadhil Salim to level it at 2-2.

In injury time, Moon delivered the final third goal for Woodlands Wellington and handed the Cheetahs to an empathic comback defeat.

Hat trick Moon again the bane of the Cheetahs misery. The Korean striker applied the accelerator on his legs to connect with custodian Ang's drop kick, and as he outran the last defender, he turned on the dime to put in a well placed slotted to seal Hougang United's fate.

Hougang coach Aide Iskandar did not take the defeat well... and was absent at the post-match press conference

In his place stood his assistant Hasrin Jailani and club captain target="_blank" Shariff Abdul Samat.

“It was not our best game,” came Hasrin’s verdict of his team’s performance for the night.

Shariff however was willing to bravely accept his share of the blame for the goals conceded.

“We were caught off-guard, but we weren’t complacent,” stressed the 27-year-old

Hougang United squandered the chance to increase their league points against mid dweller Geylang United who now sit at 7th place with identical points of 26 but separated only by goal differences.

Kudos to Woodlands Wellington for putting on a brave fight till the end. And also 3 cheers to the Woodland fans who came to support their team.

Jalan Besar Stadium seems to be livelier this time compared to all the S-League matches I have been, even though the attendance did not match the roars from the stands. If you caught the game live on TV, you could have heard the loud fans from both camps, tauting each other with friendly banter and cheers. Great job Singapore! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Partners / Sponsors